Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Tiny Peepers :: Handmade Holiday Vendor Feature


Business Name:  tiny peepers printed fabrics
Owner:  Kelly Smith-Tilly
What is the best handmade gift you've received? 
The best handmade gift I’ve gotten in a really long time is a set of small, square wall-hangings with four different movie directors’ portraits on them: Wes, Woody, Jim and Francis. You can pick your own from a whole bunch of portraits and they make me smile just looking at them. (From Retrowhale on Etsy.)
Is there a story behind your shop name? 
 I named my biz after those cute little frogs, spring peepers. I love how such a tiny thing can make such a whopping sound.
Describe your studio. 
 My studio: it has table and four chairs, a stove, a fridge, a sink and some crumbs. It’s open 24 hours and often contains small children.
What is your favorite thing about the Holidays? 
Frazier Fir smells and my mom’s homemade Russian Rocks Christmas cookies.
What are your influences? 
I love things that are cleverly designed, clean and simple, and have a sense of humor. That translates to many things—furniture, art, gadgets, dwellings. Music is another big influence for me. I love to listen to music while I’m printing. I have a high tolerance for listening to the same thing over and over if it’s something I’m really digging at the moment. I also enjoy all things letterpress and the fabulous Hatch Show Print in Nashville, Tennessee.   




No comments: