Friday, December 07, 2012

Terrariums by Rich :: Handmade Holiday Vendor Feature


Business Name:  Terrariums by Rich
Owner:  Rich Perrello
Website: http://flavors.me/terrariumrich#_

What is the best handmade gift you've received? 
My parents often made our clothes and gifts. A  wooden scooter to ride around the neighborhood, made by my father. It had metal handles made out of old pipe fittings (dad was a plumber). It was easy to steer and even had a foot controlled break my dad rigged up somehow. I rode it all around the neighborhood for about a year until it finally gave out.

What is your newest crafty creation? 
I have been working on my Christmas terrariums and miniature dioramas. I call them “living ornaments”. After rigorous experimenting I have came up with a living ornament that is light enough to hang on a tree. I have also reuse light bulbs and other materials to use as vessels .

Is there specific item you'd like to feature for the show? 
My living ornaments. They will make a lovely addition to any Christmas tree. 

Describe your studio. 
A disaster! Just kidding. My studio is actually my kitchen. I was getting difficult to work with, but with recent modifications I made with some lumber, tape measure and a saw, I was able to make it work. Terrariums can get messy. My best friend in my studio is the dustbuster vac. 

What is your favorite thing about the Holidays? 
Spending time with family and close friends. It is the only time of the year I see all of my 8 other siblings and my nieces and nephews.

 What are your influences?
My grandmother’s fondness of succulents and her amazing ability to make any plant grow in her city garden.  My mom’s constant dabbling into many different crafts when I was growing up, influenced me to try different hobbies. I have always been fascinated model railroad dioramas as a child. I like trains but was more intrigued by how the scenery and buildings were so small and real looking. As I have been creating more terrariums, my desire has led me in that direction, but with live plants. I also use miniatures in some of my terrariums to create a theme, making each terrarium tell its own story. My imagination and very high energy are also a strong influence.

No comments: