Saturday, December 08, 2012

Richmond Thread Lab :: Handmade Holiday Vendor Feature


Business Name: Richmond Thread Lab
Owner:  Christie Thompson
What is the best handmade gift you've received?
My brother made me laser cut tags when I first started my business and it's become a big part of my brand now. I have them made locally at BIG SECRET in Jackson Ward now, but that first gift was exciting, inspirational, and so thoughtful. 

What is your newest crafty creation?  Is there specific item you'd like to feature for the show?  
My line started with women's accessories but the more I dabble in men's wear the more I love it. My hand crafted neckties have become my most popular item and I will be featuring a number of them in lush wool textures and a few in limited quantity vintage materials as well. 

Is there a story behind your shop name? 
Well my shop name just recently changed, so there's actually quite a long story involved. The line was previously named Fibre Craft and for a number of reasons, I needed a change. Richmond Thread Lab is the embodiment of what I hope to achieve through my line: it's about harnessing the creative energy and inspiration of Richmond through hand crafted experimentation. I have plans for collaborations with local people and businesses as well as dreams to someday create a space for artisans and makers to share resources and learn from one another.  

Describe your studio.
My studio is full of natural light, usually a sleeping (or meowing) cat, a wall made of rocks, and a lot of carefully organized fabric. I love to create while listening to my favorite RadioLab episodes or some awesome dance music. 

What is your favorite thing about the Holidays?
The food.. and the sparkle! I love dressing up and sharing luscious meals with friends and family. You can't beat that Dolly Parton Christmas album either.. 

What are your influences?
My influences are found in the unusual use of texture, color, fabric or anything in between. My line started by recreating fabrics into something new and while I source newer fabrics more often now, I still find myself trying to use materials in ways you don't usually come across. I also find much inspiration in vintage style where quality organic and natural fibers were really valued, even in accessories.

No comments: