Monday, December 03, 2012

Milk & Honey :: Handmade Holiday Vendor Feature


Business Name: Milk & Honey
Owner: Sarah Parker
Website address: milkandhoneyluxuries.com
What is the best handmade gift you've received?  
My wedding gown. My grandmother was a seamstress her entire career and she made it without a pattern, going entirely on my description of the perfect dress. 

What is your newest crafty creation? 
I just started a line of inspirational coffee spoons that I've been having a lot of fun with. They have simple little sayings such as "never never never give up" and are meant to be a way to start each day on a positive note.
Is there a story behind your shop name?
When I chose the name Milk & Honey, I was mainly attracted to the idea of the land of milk and honey (paradise, where people lack nothing), and also the thought that milk is something you "need" whereas honey is a pleasurable thing you "want". I see my products as ways to take things you need anyway, but create them in a way that is more special... put some honey in the milk so to speak. I've built my business on the idea that there are simple, attainable luxuries that everyone can enjoy if we give ourselves permission to. 
Describe your studio. 
Chaos! I have so many projects going at once! I have my desk area where I list items and do my shipping. Then there is a huge old naval butchers block where I do my metal stamping. I have my sewing area set up with a garment rack filled with different fabrics that catch my eye, and a makeshift photography studio by the window where the good natural light is. 
What is your favorite thing about the Holidays? 
Spending time with my family first and foremost. My children are still in that magical age which I know is fleeting, so I try to soak that up as much as I can. It is also such a delight for the senses, more than any other time of year. The smell of pine and cinnamon, the sounds of the songs. the decorations, the food. I love it all.

No comments: