Wednesday, April 04, 2012

2012 Spring Bada-Bing Vendor Q & A: Jennifer Allevato

Jennifer Allevato of handmade by jennifer allevato
www.etsy.com/shop/jenniferallevato

What is your favorite thing about spring? Spring is when my birthday is, so I've always loved the season. My favorite flowers - daffodils, tulips, and irises - are all spring flowers, and I love how everything is fresh and new, and I can stop wearing a heavy coat!
What's your soundtrack while you're working? My soundtrack totally depends on my mood and what kind of work I'm doing. I usually embroider to Netflix (ha), but when I paint, I tend to listen to anything from 90s alt rock to modern indie folk-rock - Radiohead, She & Him, The Killers, Arcade Fire, Death Cab, Eisley, and Swell Season are most played.

What are your influences? I have a fine arts and theatre background, so my influences come from many different places. I first fell in love with painting in junior high when I was assigned to copy a waterlily painting by Claude Monet. Cliche, perhaps, but I was only 12! Desmond Heeley, a costume designer, has the most gorgeous use of brushstroke; his designs are so loose, and yet you can still understand every detail. I have a copy of a rendering of a ballet costume he designed hanging above my desk. Anna Bond, the artist behind Rifle Paper Co., is also amazing. Everything she does, including her text, is hand-painted and I'm obsessed with it. I love color, in general, and anything Art Deco.
Trend spotting: foxes, hedgehogs, mustaches, oh my! - What do you think will be next hottest craft trend? Nautical/oceanic themes will be really hot for summer - I am starting to see octopi everywhere. The chevron theme of a couple years ago seemed to explode and then die quickly, but now I am seeing a rise in chevrons as a use for the general geometric trend. I wasn't sure if the geometric influences would stick around, but I now fully expect to see it saturate every part of the market soon. I am also seeing a rise in the use of natural textures in unexpected places - cork, burlap, linen, and woodgrain make a lovely contrast to everyday sleek and cold metal and glass technology.

No comments: