Saturday, December 10, 2011

Turnerbots :: Handmade Holiday Vendor Feature!


Who doesn't love robots?! Turnerbots combines robots (amongst other quirky things) with her love of clay and makes the most amazing objects including ceramic coin banks, cups, vases as well as other non-clay items like squishy toys, and altered clothing.

Here's a little bit more about Turnerbots...


Describe your studio.

My studio is split between an extra room in my house and some space in VCU's Ceramics area. Clean(ish) projects happen at home and all clay work is done amongst the busily working clay students. Either place involves lots of stacks which is the closest I get to an organized workspace.

What is your favorite thing about the Holidays?

If I'm honest, I'd have to say it's dressing my cat in his elf costume. I must say he loves that! Secondly, I love tacky lights and house decorations. It doesn't align with my craft sensibilities, but I can't help it! What's your newest crafty creation? Is there specific item you'd like to feature for the show? I have so many new items this year. The robots have gone two-dimensional with ornaments and magnets. I have also started making vases which draw on my favorite robotic elements without being representational. I'm pretty excited about all of these things and the holiday shoppers seem to be also.

Is there a story behind your shop name?
I started turnerbots unofficially when I was embroidering robots on shirts for friend. A friend of mine named the shop for me. It was through their encouragement that I continued and here I am, years later, making the robots I will be selling at the craft sale.

What's your soundtrack while you're working?

Any good dance music or Harry Potter audiobooks.


What are your influences?

Tiny mechanical elements. I love the small screws on watches/eyeglasses, disassembling clicky ink pens, and any small systems of that nature.

No comments: