Sunday, December 04, 2011

S. Tector Metals :: Handmade Holiday Vendor Feature!

The beautiful simplicity of S. Tector Metals work is amongst the amazing selection of jewelery vendors at this year's Handmade Holiday!

Here's a little bit more about S. Tector Metals...

Describe your studio.
Happily my studio is in my apartment. I have my designing & prepping bench and a separate bench for my torch with a lovely extra large window in front of it. My friends love that I keep my tumbler on the kitchen counter next to my blender. But lets be honest, whenever I'm working on a show the kitchen, dining room and living room become my studio too.

What is your favorite thing about the Holidays?

Spending time with my family. I live in the same town as my parents, but my sister and brother and their families live much further away.


What's your newest crafty creation?

Is there specific item you'd like to feature for the show: I've been introducing different materials with my metal work. You'll find hand cut vinyl, cast resin, rubber dipping, and powder coating too.


Is there a story behind your shop name?
Actually yes. When I lived in NYC I found that I was running into a little sexism with some studios I was trying to work in. So I decided to use my first initial only and last name letting my work get in the door and be seen before it was judged by who made it.


What's your soundtrack while you're working?

Depends, right now my Pandora stations include: Girl Talk, Black Keys, Ting Tings, Beck, Michael Jackson, LCD Sound System, and Michael Jackson (not too much past Thriller though).

What are your influences?

My parents have had a big influence on my work over the years. They've always been very encouraging, and great with critiques of my work (they never sugar coat and I greatly appreciate that). Most importantly they told me to pick a major that made me happy. Design wise I find that I'm most draw to clean lines, geometric shapes, and bold color (whether it's a strong orange or a crisp white).

No comments: