Sunday, December 04, 2011

Mashulu :: Handmade Holiday Vendor Feature!

Every girl needs a gorgeous handbag for the Holidays - why not one made completely by hand? You will find no shortage of such things at Handmade Holiday and Mashulu accessories are truly functional works of art!

Here's a little bit more about Mashulu...

Describe your studio.

Being a Fine Arts graduate student, I am fortunate to actually have a designated studio space. It's sectioned off and tucked in the back of a larger classroom space. People are usually impressed with how "organized" it is, but when I look at it I see chaos! For the most part I suppose it is pretty well put together. I have my cutting area, several rolling plastic storage units with my notions well organized and labeled. I have an area for my microwave and a comfy chair for those long nights of production. Next to my sewing station is where I keep all of my fabric dyes and chemicals. It sounds all nice and set, but that's because I don't want to bore you with the details about things pinned to the walls and stacked under tables!


What is your favorite thing about the Holidays?

As I get older the Holidays don't feel the same as they once did, primarily due to the loss of all of my grandparents. For example, my paternal grandmother used to "hide" an audio recorder and tape everyone's interactions when they came to visit for Christmas. She would play old ones while we had dinner and we would all try to figure out who's voice was who's. I try not to let it get me down too much because now I'm responsible for creating Christmas memories for the younger members of my family.


What's your newest crafty creation? I have been playing a lot with dyeing and printing my own fabric. It's become quite an addiction for me! Unfortunately I have been so busy with school that I didn't have any time to create any textiles for the bags I will be showing this time.

Is there specific item you'd like to feature for the show? Though handbags and clutches are my specialty, I'm excited about showing my crochet earrings and headbands. I love color and print and these items give me a quick way to play around with different combinations.

Is there a story behind your shop name? Mashulu means "stitches" in Swahili. I wanted a name that sounded exotic but easy to pronounce. And with my love for sewing, that one word says it all!

What's your soundtrack while you're working?
It depends...I love how versatile my music tastes are. I have a lot of R&B and Hip Hop, old and new. When I crochet sometimes I listen to slow R&B songs. If I need that extra "push" or need to get through a certain task at an aggressive pace, I turn to my "Head Banger" playlist that features Marilyn Manson, Metallica, Seether, Linkin Park, and Paramore, just to name a few. And I have to have earbuds in for maximum productivity...I'm easily distracted!

No comments: