Saturday, April 11, 2009

Spring Bada-Bing Crafter Interview with Tess Dixon of Always Midnight


Tess Dixon of Always Midnight
Describe your business and work:
I create hair accessories (fascinators, headbands, etc.) that make a bold statement and instantly dress up any outfit. Mostly constructed of ribbons, feathers, fabric remnants, and small figurines or mementos. Because life's too short not to overdress.

How long have you been a crafter or designer?
I've been sewing and crafting for about 8 years, and designing hair accessories for less than a year.

How did you get started with your craft?
After seeing some stellar hairpieces in movies like Marie-Antoinette, I started looking around for similar items and found that they can cost as much as $300. So my motivation was to start making cheaper versions for myself, which snowballed into wanting to start my shop. Part of what I love about it is that with most types of craft, there is a very low startup cost. Just a $40 trip to the craft store, add some time and creativity, and you've already begun.

What are your influences?
All of the great creators who are already out there from Etsy, as well as folks contributing work to the various crafty Flickr photo pools out there. In the world of emerging craft, we all inspire each other. For me, Always Midnight is about incorporating elements of nature into our unnatural world, so my surroundings influence me as well (Oregon Hill, Hollywood Cemetery, Monument Avenue when the trees are in bloom, Richmond in general). I'm also inspired by 17th century French style as well as English Regency style.

Do you have a particular item you want featured?
Right now my fascinator "The Queen's Ways 2.0" is my favorite item, because of its pretty spring-y pastels. And although it's pretty small, it could instantly dress up the most blah of outfits. You simply can't feel dull with this thing in your hair.


What do you like best about Spring?
Roses budding in my garden, the prospect of picnics to come, and friends reuniting after the long, cold winter to make plans for epic summer hangouts.

No comments: