Wednesday, April 11, 2012

2012 Spring Bada-Bing Vendor Q & A: Fibre Craft

fibre craft
What is your favorite thing about spring?
Inch worms! Just kidding.. my favorite thing about Spring is finally being able to eat weekend brunch on my back porch in the sun.
What's your newest crafty creation? Is there specific item you'd like to feature for the show?
One of my newest creations is a clear cuff bracelet made from recycled acrylic glass (aka lucite or plexiglass). They bring a fantastic modern touch to any outfit and especially pop with Springtime brights and neons.

I'm also really excited to have a line of handmade neckties for men at the show. Craft shows rarely focus on a male audience and I know men value hand crafted care in their accessories as well. I create the ties using a variety of textures and they are unlike any tie you would find in a store.
Is there a story behind your shop name?
My shop name was born out of one of my biggest inspirations: texture. I've tried to focus on using as much natural and organic fiber as possible (linen, wool, etc). In a lot of modern, mass-produced clothing and accessories you don't find lasting and natural materials anymore. Vintage material on the other hand is almost always full of rich fiber and texture and has become the perfect way to bring a small bit of luxury back into accessories and wares.

What's your soundtrack while you're working?
This might make me sound like a nerd, but RadioLab is one of my favorites while sewing. You can soak in knowledge and create at the same time! When I max out on Jad and Robert, my recent faves have been Grimes, Tanlines, and Love Inks.
What are your influences?
Some of my top influences are texture, classic patterns, bold color, and vintage style. I've been thrifting since I was a kid and altering vintage clothing has always been a hobby. It's only recently that I've begun to view a thrift shop as a fabric store and hunt for classic patterns and natural textures that can be recreated into modern styles.

Trend spotting: foxes, hedgehogs, mustaches, oh my! - What do you think will be next hottest craft trend?
Geometry and neutrals mixed with neon are popping up everywhere right now. In my process, using found materials sometimes makes it difficult to keep up with current trends (since I begin with material that is already out there) but I find it challenges me to mix classic with trendy and I love that about my work.

No comments: