Thursday, December 08, 2011

Modern June :: Handmade Holiday Vendor Feature!




We could not be more proud of our Richmond Craft Mafia alumni member, Kelly McCants from Modern June! Kelly has recently written an amazingly beautiful craft book, Sewing with Oilcloth, that you just have to see. Wouldn't that make an awesome gift for the crafty person in your life?



Here's a little bit more about Modern June...



Describe your studio
.

My studio is in the back room of my home, it’s a very tiny-little room but I love it. Several days a week two of my Junies and I get together to make a lot of loot within that 156 square feet.

This last summer I took a few weeks and updated my studio. A coat of pretty turquoise blue paint, improved storage, and new work tables made it very bright and functional. Little did I know that Hurricane Irene would drop a 100 year old tree upon my little workspace only two months later. While the studio didn’t suffer much interior damage the roof was totally trashed.

Since early November my home and studio have been a messy construction site. The studio had to be stripped down to the bones and I’ve had to shut down production for the last two weeks. In trade for putting up with plaster dust, mud and constant hammering the studio has gotten new windows and pot lights!

Please come by my blog for my weekly Reno Updates and see how we make lemonade out of lemons.

What is your favorite thing about the Holidays?
My favorite thing about the holidays is Christmas shut down. I close Modern June and Oilcloth Addict down for about two weeks so my team of Junies and I can spend time with our families. This was a tradition started by my mother, she spent every Christmas holiday at home with us making memories. It’s the best two weeks of the year!

What's your newest crafty creation? Is there specific item you'd like to feature for the show?
My new book, Sewing with Oilcloth is my newest crafty creation!! It’s filled with 20 great projects that make sewing with laminated cotton, oilcloth and chalk cloth fun and easy. I’ll have a ton of books at the show along with an assortment of pre-cut oilcloth for sale.

Is there a story behind your shop name?
Oh, yes! When I started the business my two children and I went out looking for mannequin to show off my pretty little aprons. After we got the thing in the care my then 8 year old daughter wanted to give our new friend a name. I suggested June -- as in Cleaver, of course. As I drove the four of us home I mentioned that I aspired to be a Modern June Cleaver. By the time we arrived home I had finally found the perfect name for my little venture.

What's your soundtrack while you're working?
I am totally in love with Mumford and Son’s album, Sigh No More, right now, I can’t listen to it enough!

What are your influences?
I love the whole 50’s housewife thing, really anything from June Cleaver’s kitchen is fine by me. Fun and functional housewares make me giddy and bright color and kitsch make my heart happy so I am big fan of all that is Crate and Barrel. My professional background in costuming is a big influence in what I do. The costume/fashion history, patterning and sewing knowledge gained by that career helps me with Modern June every-single day.

No comments: