Thursday, April 16, 2009

Spring Bada-Bing Crafter Interview with Carly Goss of Carlybird Weaves

Carly Goss of Carlybird Weaves
www.carlygoss.com

Carlybird Weaves is a one-woman weaving business located in the Historic Woodberry neighborhood of Baltimore. We (okay, I have the most fabulous intern in the world--Rachel--so I have to say "we")
hand weave cuffs, scarfs and other fashion and home decor items. My aim is to pay tribute to the long tradition of weaving by giving historic patterns a new life in modern, fashionable society.

How long have you been a crafter or designer? I went to college for fine art and have been artistic since I was a child. I've been weaving since 2001, but I didn't make the switch to full-time artist/crafter until October of 2008. How did you get started with your craft? I started college at MICA in Baltimore thinking I would be a painter, but on my very first visit to the fiber department, before I was even enrolled, I saw the loom loft and new I would spend a lot of time there.

What are your influences?
Every weaver who came before me is an influence. Every contemporary is an influence. Music plays such an important role in my life that it's effect on my work cannot be underestimated. I've been singing 200 year old shapenote music since I was a teenager. The ways the harmonies work in these old songs and the way the community of singers exists is not unlike a woven piece of cloth.


Do you have a particular item you want featured?
I've attached an image of a Spice and Lemongrass scarflette. This line of scarves is lightweight, simple and elegant, and this particular one is perfect for the transition from winter to spring. You get the little bit of extra warmth you need on a rainy day without the bulk of a full length scarf. Scarflettes are also a great way to dress up a little for all those spring weddings!

What do you like best about Spring?
I love to go outside in the morning wearing a sweater and to be able to take if off 20 minutes later because it's so warm. The surprise when I still haven't allowed it to sink in that it's spring is so lovely.

No comments: