Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Spring Bada-Bing Crafter Interview with Lala's Pequenos




Lala's Pequenos
Describe your business and work:
I design baby and children items that are handcrafted with comfort and cuteness in mind.


How long have you been a crafter or designer?

It feels like I’ve been designing”since I was in the womb. My mother says that I came out knitting myself a blanket. I wake up needing to create. Whether its pancake sculptures for the kid’s breakfast or an Easter dress for a niece. The urge to make beauty out of the everyday has
been passed down from my grandma. Before Lala's Pequenos I owned a floral designed studio for 5 years. Basically, I played with flowers all day!

How did you get started with your craft?

After moving to Costa Rica to manage our rain forest preserve, I had the opportunity to have clothes made for my children at very affordable prices. When we moved back to the US, I realized that I had to learn to sew to be able to continue making clothes for them. This love of sewing blossomed into a little business that has been growing for two years now.


What are your influences?

Good design that is both functional and pleasing to the eye. That can be found everywhere! From architectural design to natural design. I also love looking at cultural influences. The baby noonie I created was inspired by little baby sacs that a native America Hupa Indians carry.


Do you have a particular item you want featured?
One item that I would love to be featured is the organic noonie in Green Swirls. It is made from organic cotton twill on the outside and lined with the softest organic sherpa. The bright green color is so fresh and bold. It’s an item that you’ll want to keep and pass down. As with all of my
products, 20% of the profit goes to take care of our 1500 acre rain forest mountain in Costa Rica.



What do you like best about Spring?
Spring is a way for the soul to wake up. As the flowers blossom so do new ideas. It’s an opportunity to renew, refresh, and revive!

No comments: